Monday, August 22, 2011

"Want to go with me?...Yes!

Our five-year-old grandson was staying with us for a few days. I came home from church after dark and realized I needed to go back for something. I came in the door, greeted with a big hug by Charlie, and simply asked him this question; "You want to go with me?" In a spit second he said, "Yes!" And back out the door we went, got in the car and car seat, and away we went.

I thought about his immediate response in contrast to the hesitation we sometime give God with His Word to us. We want more information, like, "Where are we going...how long will we be gone...why are we going...do I need to change clothes...do I need to take a toothbrush, bedroll, pajamas...how much will this cost..." on and on our questions go. Would that we would be as eager to just go with God in order to just be with Him and with full assurance that where ever it is that He is going it will be just where we want to be because it will be with Him.

When we got to the church, it was all locked up and dark. We went inside, holding hands, walking down a long, dark hall toward my office. Charlie never missed as step, but he did say, "This is kind of scary." I told him it was but he was not to worry, I was with him and would not let anything get him. It would have to get me first and nothing was going to get me because God was with us and it would have to get Him first, and He is bigger and stronger than anything; He created everything and He didn't create anything bigger than Himself.

Charlie was open and honest with me that night, "This is kind of scary," which is what prayer is. Talk to God about the things that are "kind of scary," with full assurance that even though it is scary, God is in control and knows what He is doing. But sometimes instead of talking to God and listening to Him, we pull back, turn loose of His hand and want to go back.

When we came into my office, Charlie made a beeline to my saddle (my old office from cowboy days), climbed up on it and was as happy as can be until I said, "Let's go." I had hardly finished the word, "go" and he was on the floor, with my hand in his, and out to the car we went. I had to smile as we left, thinking, as much fun as it is for a boy to play on a real saddle, he sure wasn't going to hang around in there if I was leaving. Why are we hesitant to go on with God, even though we may be having fun where we are, why stay when God says, "Let's go."

What kind of invitation is God giving you right now? Know this, whatever the invitation is, it is an invitation to join Him in what He wants to do, with you. And know that what He wants to do with you is to work in you His perfect plan according to the counsel of His own will. You can trust Him. Don't worry about where, how long, what else you will need or how much it will cost, or why...God will take care of you...go with God, you can trust Him. He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment