Saturday, June 27, 2015

Praying Through Difficulties With Wisdom

The fourth section of this great prayer is entitled daleth, Psalm 119:25 – 32. The first line is telling, “My soul clings to the dust…” A modern expression of this could be, “I am really feeling down-in-the-dumps!” Everyone goes through times of discouragement, doubts, and even crushing depression. Feelings are powerful and can mislead and distort. They are not reliable for decision-making, but they are very real.

The rest of verse twenty-five is instructive, “…give me life according to your word!” This is a direct request and is similar to the prayer that Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane, “…not my will, but yours be done.” Luke 22:42. When you pray “according to Your word,” you are submitting yourself to God’s will and timing for the answer, rather than dictating to Him how and when He should “give you life.” The New Testament equivalent of this is “In the Name of Jesus, I pray.”

The next verse, 119:26, gives guidance as you pray through difficulties, “When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes.” The psalmist remembers a past experience of difficulty and the answer God gave, and then asks for instruction from God’s word. The word “statutes” is the Hebrew word, khok, and has the meaning of engraving into stone. It is also used to describe a tattoo, an engraving under the skin. It communicates permanence rather than something written that can be erased. The stability and permanence of God’s word will hold you and carry you through difficulties, especially when emotions are pushing you around.

The third request is found in the next verse, “Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.” The word “understanding” is the Hebrew word bayin, which means to cut and separate. It is translated in the Old Testament with words like understanding, discernment, and wisdom. It has to do with being able to distinguish between good and evil so that you can make the right choice.

This is a powerful prayer request because in praying it, you are asking God to shape and mold your thoughts in such a way as to cut and separate the difference between good and evil, right and wrong, in order to make the wise choice. The vow that follows is similar to a request with a result attached to it. Meditating on God’s wondrous works will shape your thoughts to see clearly the difference between good and evil. God is good and He only does what is good.

The next line, “My soul melts for sorrow, strengthen me according to your word.” This is a companion to the opening line and emphasizes the on-going struggle a person has with their emotions trying to call the shots. But God’s word gives strength, if you will ask Him for it. God’s word informs and transforms at the same time so that wise decisions can be made.

A fourth request is seen in the next verse, “Put false ways far from me and graciously teach me your law!” The request for learning is probably not high up on your prayer list, but it is in this prayer. It is the number one request in Psalm 119. As you allow God’s word to share your prayers, this request will become more and more important and valuable to you.

This section ends with a flurry of confessions and a powerful vow. The three-fold confession “I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set your rules before me. I cling to your testimonies…” are all declarations of the will informed and transformed by God’s word, not the emotions. These are statements of determination not to stay in the dumps but to rise up and get through them. God does not take you around, over, or under difficulties; He takes you through them with the strength and instruction from His word.


The last line is a vow; “I will run in the way of your commandments, when you enlarge my heart.” This is a powerful vow of faith. How different from the way this section began. Praying God’s word will move you from my soul clings to the dust, to I will run in the way of your commandments, if you are willing to allow God’s word to shape your prayers. As you do, you will be learning to worship the Father in spirit and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment