Monday, September 26, 2011

Indonesia Journal; Sunday and Monday

25 September; Happy Sunday! 3 PM (internet has been down; it is Monday AM here)

What a Happy Sunday this has been! The Faith Baptist Church of Manado began 49 years ago. Today they celebrated their 49th birthday, and man, do they know how to celebrate! This is the first Baptist church in Manado. It began by a group of young couples from the Dutch Reform Church, a very large and old denomination on this island. They had been attending the Baptist seminary on the island of Java. After their studies they discussed with their church leaders in the Dutch Reform Church some new ministries and mission ideas they wanted to begin. Their church did not want to make any changes so they met together and prayed for what God would have them to do.

After several weeks of prayer, they decided to start a Baptist church, the first one on the island of Sulewesi, in the city of Manado. Today there are over 350 churches in this fellowship which all started from this church, 49 years ago. About six of the charter members were present today and they had the greatest joy of anyone present.

The Faith Baptist Church has five “daughter” churches on the island and neighboring islands. These are mission churches that will become self supporting within a year or so, according to the pastor. The students were in charge of the music today and they led in what we know as a “contemporary” worship experience. And we also had a children’s choir, the church choir, a men’s choir (I got all of this on a camcorder; wait until you hear this men’s choir; unbelievable), and several solos and instrumental solos. I preached on prayer from Colossians 1:9-10 and how this church was birthed in a prayer meeting, has continued by the faithful prayers of the members, and will into the future on the foundation of prayer; prayer that is shaped and led by God’s Word. I told them that our church in Kingsland had just celebrated our 50th and that we were now prayer partners with them since we share so much in common. They want a team of us to come back next year.

There was one group of men present from the island of Papua. They looked like Africans and they told me that all of the Papuans resemble Africans, but they are Indonesian. They were from a church that was started by the Faith Baptist Church many years ago. Back then, the island of Papua was very primitive. In some parts it still is. You have probably heard of Papua New Guinea. This is the same island and chain of islands.

I could really feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in their worship service. It was enthusiastic and exciting with the students leading it. There is a growing revival taking place among the young people on this island. I was looking around and the older people were right with the students as they sang and danced. Most of the songs were their contemporary songs but others I recognized as some that we sing. One in particular they really like; Lord You are good and Your mercy endures forever…we worship You, Hallelujah, Hallelujah; we worship You for who You are…You are good, all the time, all the time, You are good And they love singing The Banner of the Cross. I am requesting these two songs on Sunday, October 2, one for the early and the other for the late.

Then they had baby dedication. Three couples came up with their babies and family members and church members surrounded them and sang a beautiful prayer song over these babies, similar to the way the pastors did to the graduates on Friday. We came up for the offering (they come up and pass the plates), and then lit the birthday cake candles and went outside for a huge feast. Then, pictures. To say that they like to take pictures is an understatement. We took a lot of pictures. More pictures than at a wedding. Then they called everyone back into the sanctuary to present me with a gift and one for Beth. They wanted me to open mine but would not let me open Beth’s. They want me to take pictures of her opening her present and send it to them. I promised I would. They said they wanted us to bring a team back for their 50th which they said is a big celebration. I can only imagine.

I have been in several church services in different countries over the past 30 years that during the service and afterwards I thought, “This is what heaven is like; thank You, Lord; this must be what heaven is like.” I was saying that today, over and over. Thank you for your prayers. One more entry; tomorrow morning just before I leave this place. Salamat Hari Minggu; Happy Happy Sunday!

26 September; Monday

Some of my thoughts as I get ready to go to the airport:
·         As our friend, Pastor Ron Keener, likes to say, “God is always working upstream.” In January of this year, Beth began encouraging me to write some discipleship materials. I decided to begin by asking the Sunday morning Pastor’s Class to help me. I would write a section and we would study it together. They would give me suggestions and I would edit the material. About the same time I was invited to a meeting in Dallas to discuss mission work and the state convention. At that meeting I met Dr. Kim Hall, the pastor of Hunters Glen Baptist Church in Plano. He works with New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary in several places in the world where rural pastors are taking classes to complete a Pastoral Ministry Certificate. He asked me if I would be interested in teaching some pastors in Indonesia in September. I was approved by the seminary as an adjunct professor and asked to prepare about 24 hours of material to cover a New Testament Survey class. By May of this year I had completed 14 weeks of discipleship materials with the Pastor’s class and had begun to compile my notes for the NT survey class. The Wednesday evening Bible study class helped me with this study. As the time got closer to leave for Indonesia, I decided to take along about 20 copies of Book 1 (first seven weeks of discipleship material) with a master copy just in case the pastors would be interested in it. When I arrived in Indonesia the dean of the seminary asked if I could teach something other than NT survey. He said that he was planning to teach NT survey next semester and wanted to draw in some of the local pastors to the seminary for on-going training. He gave me the choice of teaching Mark, Luke, Hebrews, or the parables of Jesus. I had survey materials on the three books but I also had a complete study guide on the parables, the miracles, and a word study in Hebrew and Greek on wisdom in Book 2 of the discipleship material. I told him I would like to teach on the parables. He was elated because the seminary had not offered a study on the parables in several years. Here is the point: Proverbs says, the horse is made ready for battle but the victory belongs to the LORD. I was all ready to teach NT survey but God had worked through Beth and the Pastor’s class to prepare the material that I would end up teaching this week; the parables of Jesus and wisdom. God knows who my NT survey class notes will be for; but it is already prepared. Thank you, Beth. Thank you, Pastor’s class. Thank you, God, for working upstream in our lives! Something else; I told the pastors and students that I had brought a seven-week Bible study guide for new believers to work through with a mentor. They told me that this was a big need among their churches. I gave them the copies and the master and left money to have it translated and copied with Salt Block Ministry funds. Before the week was out they had already made several more copies in English and the dean said it is written in simple enough English to use in their English as second language studies.
·         There are huge differences in the world among people and no matter how different the culture, there are some things that people everywhere share in common. Children act the same in every culture. People’s eyes look the same with joy, sadness, boredom, and excitement in every culture. The gospel of Jesus Christ gives deep, abiding joy no matter what the culture. People need the Lord and when the gospel is preached they respond and are given the same Spirit in every culture. The differences in cultures are huge but not as huge as the fellowship in the Holy Spirit. This morning I was right at home in a church on the other side of the world from mine; I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit and was able to worship together with them even though I didn’t know the words or the music; I knew the Spirit among them. I have had the same experience in Uganda, Kenya, Bangladesh, China, Mexico, and the Philippines. Those cultures are as different as night and day with history, food, language, customs, and appearances, and yet Jesus Christ in us is the same. And people are hungry for the Bible in every culture. Being able to purchase and hand out Bibles for people hungry for God’s Word is overwhelming. They desire to have and study God’s Word. As I have taught in different places, the interest, the questions, the hunger is the same. Having God’s Spirit gives you a hunger for God’s Word. And faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of Christ. Spiritual growth and a growing desire for God’s Word go hand-in-hand in every culture. Insights from the Lord in His Word are cross-cultural. The errors in mission work have come as missionaries have taught their own culture rather than insights in the Word from the Spirit.
·         God has given the United States a responsibility of leadership in the world; a voice that is respected, that gives direction, that is desired. The problem is that our voice has changed and there is confusion in the world as the result. We have lost our moral compass but still have our place of leadership (only God knows for how much longer). The world has followed our economic disaster of spending what we do not have. The Bible is clear on tithing and saving and living a simple and sharing lifestyle. The world is reeling by following our lead in irresponsible stewardship. We began seeking after and trusting in the blessings and misplaced our “In God We Trust” motto. Our sexual immorality shocks “developing nations.” What is now accepted in the US is a million miles from the standard of the Bible. The problem is that the styles and trends are set by the US and Europe and are followed by the rest of the world. Western (US and Europe) influence in other countries is best described as sensual and inappropriate. What once caused embarrassment in our country still does in other countries among the Christians in those countries. The point is: We in the US must repent and pray for a spirit of repentance to shake out of our moral stupor and back to our spiritual senses before it is too late. We must return to what the Bible teaches about lifestyle, about disciplines, about morality that pleases the Father. We must pray that God re-sensitizes our embarrassment nerve and re-learn what is appropriate and inappropriate in God’s eyes regardless of the trends and styles.
·         There is a revival going on among young people all over the world. It is encouraging to see the spiritual interest and hunger in people under the age of 30. Sound doctrine (Person and Work of Christ) is attractive to this crowd. They desire to know God personally not know about Him religiously. They are responding to Truth, because Truth is a Person, Jesus Christ. And pastors hunger for teaching from other pastors concerning spiritual truth and discipline.
·         Cell phones, like Coca-Cola, have taken over the world! Everyone has a cell phone. And everyone is on the move and in a hurry to get there.
·         One of the quickest ways to make friends in another country is to learn their greetings.

And prayer joins us together in what God has called us to do together. When you prayed about the excessive sweating I was experiencing, I got relief the next day! I still was sweating but not near like I was the first few days. It was a problem and was draining me by the end of the day. As you prayed I was strengthened. I was still sweating but it was not draining me, it was not a problem. And I have been healthy all week without any problems. God has shown me on this trip insights into His Word that I have never seen before. Thank you for your prayers. “…I thank God for you, praying for you…for your prayers for me and our fellowship the gospel…” Philippians 1:3-6.

I will see you on Sunday; I have more to share about this experience that I have not shared this week in this blog. Pray for empty seats on the plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment